- This εκδήλωση has passed.
Towards plastic-free healthcare
2 Ιουλίου 2020 @ 15:30 - 16:30
Plastics play an important role in providing healthcare, but it is important, however, to recognise the negative health and environmental impacts of certain plastic materials. There are threats to health and environment across the lifecycle of plastics, from the extraction of oil and gas, the exposure to toxic additives, and the waste generated.
Specialist healthcare devices are still produced using plastics made from toxic materials despite the availability of safer alternatives. Recycling rates for plastic waste in healthcare are typically low across Europe, even though 85% of healthcare waste is comparable to domestic waste; a large majority of healthcare’s plastic waste is needlessly sent to landfill or incinerated, hampering the transition towards a circular economy.
Although there are technical challenges to reducing and replacing plastics in healthcare, particularly in the short term, many hospitals are already committing and taking steps to reduce their use of plastics.
HCWH Europe members participating in our project Towards plastic-free healthcare are working to minimise their use of disposable plastics and replace them with safer alternatives. This webinar will provide an insight into this work and outline how they are working to overcome some of the challenges they have encountered during this process.
This webinar aims to:
- Present our latest project Towards plastic-free healthcare
- Highlight and share best practices in reducing plastic waste in healthcare facilities
- Inspire other hospitals and healthcare providers to start tackling the plastic challenges
- Encourage discussion on ways for healthcare facilities to reduce plastic waste
- Raise awareness on the risks that plastics pose to health and to the environment